template

Friday, December 30, 2011

New Christmas Tradition!

I just love Christmas time because it is time to do things again that we have not been able to do for a year and we also get to come up with new things we want to add to our Christmas memories!  This year I will say I did feel like I was trying to add to much and got caught up in the little traditions and forgot to remember my kids are young and we don't always have the time I would like.  Now, looking back I wish I would have taken a breath and enjoyed some quiet this Christmas season to take it all in!

But, our newest tradition that did help me to take a breath and remember what the Christmas season is all about and to enjoy it thought the eyes of little ones was to wrap up 24 Christmas books and let Ayden and Ahnie (mostly AJ) open one book a day.  I was so amazed at what all this quick simple thing added to our lives in the month leading up to Christmas!  At first Ayden was excited to see all these wrapped gift for him and his sister!  He kept asking if he could open it now!  This opened it up to talking about waiting and how advent was all about waiting for the birth of Jesus!  Then as we opened each book, some being about Santa, some about gingerbread men and some being about the first christmas story we were able to talk about what Christmas really means.  AJ started to realize that each gift was going to be another book but was still excited each day when I got home from work to see what the new one was going to be!  Some he loved, some were board books for his sister and some were a little too long and might be better next year but every day before nap we took a little time to cuddle and read a new christmas story!  And since Christmas AJ has found a book he wanted to read before nap!  Something I always ment to do before naps and just seemed to forget more than I care to admit!  After 24 days of this it is not a routine that needs to happen :)

My favorite memory from this christmas time was this....

AJ was quietly watching a commercial that had a little boy dressed up like Santa and giving a present to his mom.  He looked at me when the commercial was over and this was our conversation...

AJ:  "Mom, Santa come to my house and bring me presents?"  (We had fun with Santa this year but really didn't go into the whole bringing AJ gifts thing...So this idea had never come up before...
Me:  "Why do you think Santa brings presents?
AJ:  After a long pause...  "Umm because those guys go visit baby Jesus and bringed him presents?"
Me:  Okay that sounds good!

I was blown away that he could make the connection between Santa bringing gifts to the 3 Wise Men bringing Jesus gifts!  I know this was because of all the books we had read and talked about the gifts that Jesus received. 

Lastly another funny comment by AJ.  We had my family christmas the week before Christmas and I wrapped all the presents while he was asleep the night before we were going to be going out of town.  When Ayden woke up that morning he came out and started yelling "Jesus Comed!  Jesus Comed!!"   

No comments: