template

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bye Bye Binky

On Friday, Ayden and I were talking about how we were going to have to throw away his binky soon because he was getting to be such a big boy!  This is a conversation we have been having for atleast a month with no excitement about it!  We were telling him that we were going to pick out a toy and when he threw it away then he could have that toy.  This was exciting but he never really went through with it.

So, back to Friday.  Well I was talking to him about it and then I said and after you give up your binky you can get your big boy bed!  He has been in a toddler bed for a year and I just don't think it is very comfortable for him anymore.  He looked at me and said "I want my big boy bed!" and I said well you need to throw away your binky first.  He took out his binky and said "Ok, I throw it away".  Being very surprised I was a little nervous but I thought we should go with it!  I opened the gate to the kitchen and sure enough he threw it away!  We looked at it and I told him it was yucky now and we couldn't use it again.  He looked at me and said "yeah, yucky!"  Then we went on with our afternoon.

When it started to get close to bed time and we were on our way home from our friends house this is our conversation:
AJ: "Mommy, I NEED my binky."
Me: "Remember we threw it in the garbage"
AJ:  "My football binky yucky, I want my baseball binky"
Me: (In my head was thinking shoot!) "I don't know where you baseball binky is... (I really didn't at the time)

Then we had a melt down!!!  And it continued as we got our jammies on and while we rested and finally for 45 minutes in bed!  He would sit at the door and knock while yelling "MOM! I NEED MY BINKY!!"

He woke up on Saturday at 6:15 and wanted his binky.  We didn't give in and he stayed awake then.  Nap time came and asked again for it!  I didn't give in and neither did he!  He did not nap until brett got home at 3:30 and finally got him to calm down.

Sunday, he woke up at 5:30!!!  I was not happy!!  Still did not give in and he never went back to sleep. I decided to feed him lunch at 10:30 before church and I drove around after church until he fell asleep.  This worked great and we finally took a nap!  Then bed time was not bad.  He went to sleep pretty quickly.

Monday he finally slept in till 7.  But would not take a nap!!  We decided to go to the store and pick out his new sheets for his big boy bed.  Then went to bed pretty good for a sitter.

Tuesday he slept in till 7 again, but again would not nap!

This has been a long week for me!  But it is getting better!  I will say it is rather funny to hear him in his room while he is supposed to be taking a nap.  He lays in his bed 'singing' (yelling) Welcome to Big House!!  then sings either "No, No never going to keep me down" or many different lines from "Roaring like a lion".  If nothing else he is teaching Ahnie to fall asleep and stay asleep during anything!!!

I hope he goes back to his old routine quickly.  He has stopped asking for his binky we just need to get a new routine to get him to calm down and rest without his binky.

No comments: