template

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Roseola

Last week Ayden had Roseola. I wanted to blog about it so I had records of what happened and how long it lasted. Also, if anyone is curious about what Roseola is you can keep reading :)

A week ago Sunday, we spent the day at Graduation Open Houses. At one I was changing him and notices a few spots but thought it could be his exzema coming back. Later that night I was getting him ready for bed and he had a rash from him neck to his knees. This rash looked like red pin sized dots all over! I was nervous and showed Brett. Both of us decided that it might be a food allergy and he was acting normal so we thought it would run its course and I started thinking about what he ate that might be new.

Monday morning when Ayden woke up he had crusty eyes and a gross nose along with a fever of 100 degrees and his spots were getting a little worse. Still thinking it could be allergies we just spent our day like normal but called the doctor just to make sure. By the end of the day I was for sure it was not allergies because his fever continued and the rash was climbing to his face and down his legs. His fever peaked at 102.5 degrees Monday night. Also, on Monday his appetite went down. He would still eat but not as much as normal and really did not want a bottle. We made sure he was getting water but I was a little worried he might get dehydrated.

Tuesday the rash was still all over and not getting any better and his fever was still around 101 degrees. We had a doctors appointment to get it checked out and she confermed that it was roseola. I had check the mayo clinic website and with his symptoms this was one of the diagnosis. Check out this site if you ever are concerned!! www.mayoclinic.com Tuesday was probably the worse day of the sickness where Ayden did not feel good and was fussier than normal. We spent lots of cuddle time on the couch and took some good naps! Its never fun having a sick baby but I do like the cuddles!!!

The doctor told us that Roseola is a viral rash that comes with the yucky nose and crusty eyes and fever. It is contagious and Ayden could not see any of his friends until Friday of that week! She said Thursday might have been ok but we wanted to be safe. We waited for his nose to clear up and for his fever to be completely gone! It is also something that you only get once.

At first when I found out he had gotten this I was a little bummed because it was such a nice week and its never fun to have a sick baby but after everything is said and done it really wasn't to bad. He really only acted sick one day. He is still a little speckled but should be cleared up in a few days! I am glad he is done with it!

I did take pictures of his cute speckled body but I am still missing my camera cord so until then...

No comments: