template

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My First Race and How it Felt Like Labor...

I ran my first race two weeks ago in Minneapolis.  I have always wanted to run the 1/2 marathon in my home town Duluth.  My bro and his wife ran this year and I told them next time I wanted to run it with them.  After they finished this they decided no more 1/2 marathons but 10 miles would be better.  Then they found that the Twin Cities Marathon had a 10 mile run instead of a 1/2 so they were in!  They asked me to join their team and I agreed.  About 6 weeks before the race my brother threw out his back and decided it wasn't worth messing up his back for ever to run a race.  So, our team was down to Jen and I.

The morning was a beautiful day!  We started at the Metro Dome and finished at the State Capital in Saint Paul.  It was the most beautiful run!  The leaves were just starting to change and we ran along a river for about half of the race then we heading through a gorgeous neighborhood then through St. Thomas' campus and finally over the last hill and down to the finish line.  My parents, Brother and his son and Brett and the kids were waiting at the finish line!!  It was great to see them as I was crossing the finish line.

While I was running I kept thinking how much this race felt like my first labor.  You are anticipating the start but I really didn't know when we were going to get going...I was in the last corral so we started 15 minutes after the race officially started.  The beginning of the race starts out slow and is a bit painful...I always have side ache through the first 2 miles.  Then you get in the grove and start feeling good...just like after you get the epidural.  During this point you think about how great this is and how its not very bad and you totally want to do more and more races...or have more and more kids!  Then its time to push...you are in the last few miles of the race and you notice its starting to get a bit harder.  I had to keep telling myself the faster I run the quicker I get to see my babies faces...just like while you are telling yourself to push harder so you can meet your baby!  Then you come over the last hill and around the corner and you see the finish line...Just like seeing the babies head and you just need a few more pushes.  Then I saw Ayden and Brett and gave Ayden a Hi-Five...just like seeing your baby for the first time.  You cross the finish line and get the metal...just like when you are handed your baby for the very first time!  Then you think this wasn't so bad but you don't want to think about your next race/baby for a little while!

Ok, so not as amazing as having a baby but there are some parallels and it did make me laugh a little during the hardest part of the race...The final 3 miles!

My goal was to run the race in just under 2 hours and I finished at 2 hours 6 minutes.  It was a beautiful morning and I am so glad my brother asked me to run even though he didn't get to run with us!

No comments: